Friday, February 20, 2009

About the Designer

My encounter with beads began accidentally when my daughter, then 10, dragged me through several bead shops to choose charms for her friends. While browsing I discovered how beautiful and varied the beads were and I especially loved the gemstones and organic beads! I could almost hear the beads calling out to me,but I didn't know a thing about jewelry making.

That was when I decided to sign up for professional jewelry classes with Tanja Sadow at Bead Hub. Tanya not only taught me about choosing gemstones, how to design and make jewelry, but gave lots of tips on how to make good quality jewelry.
After making several pieces, friends asked if I would sell them and I did! The rest is history.

Today I make jewelry using different techniques like stringing, wirework, beadwork as well as bead embroidery. I especially love beadwork and bead embroidery because I get to play with tiny beads in a whole spectrum of colours! Beadwork uses waxed threads to sew tiny beads together to form designs. Bead embroidery is the art of sewing beads and gemstones on a stiff backing and then finishing the piece with ultrasuede as a necklace, bracelet or even ear-rings.

Each piece of work is painstakingly sewn and one-of-a-kind. An example would be an embroidered pair of ear-rings which takes me about 6 hours to complete. My more elaborate necklaces can take up to 100 hours to make. 98% of my work is not found in stores outside so when you choose a piece of jewelry, you can be assured it's unique and not mass produced. (The other 2% is when my customer requests something she saw in a magazine or shop using different materials or colours).
Here at Rebecca Yam I make necklaces, bracelets and ear-rings using only the finest quality materials I can find. My findings (clasps, ear hooks, wires etc) are either 925 silver, gold-filled or rhodium. I love working with gemstones, organic beads and artistic beads.

If you would like to be unique and different, do drop me an email and I'll be happy to meet with you to discuss your ideas and create something special.

In the meantime, do browse through my blog and if you see something you like, do drop me an email.