Friday, March 6, 2009

Finally, Friday!


I did promise a post on Friday, didn't I? I spent the past few days trying to get my inventory together, recording and taking photos of the jewelry pieces. In between, I was also getting ideas for new designs.

Some of you have asked why my jewelry looks different from the ones sold outside. Well, it's because I think my customers like to be different and not look like everyone else who bought pieces mass produced from some factory. I also like to take simple, regular materials and embellish them into something special. I should also add I dislike making multiple pieces in the same colour using the same materials! I don't mind making a few more say, crystal ball ear-rings, in every colour that Swarovski offers! That would be inspiring!

How do I get inspiration? First, I spend a lot of time looking through books, magazines, surfing the internet, window shopping and watching people to get ideas on current trends and styles. I also subscribe to magazines and attend classes once in a while to keep up my technique. Second, I would go to places of nature to get inspiration. My friends know I get inspired in all sorts of unusual places! I sketch out the ideas that come to me and look through my stash of materials to see what I can do.

Photo by Ethan-Zuriel Yam


What happens after I decide on a design? Well, after selecting the materials needed for the piece, I proceed to make it. When it comes to new design often I will undo what I've made if I'm not perfectly happy with the design, the way the necklace or bracelet sits, etc. When the piece finally makes it to completion (anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks!), I wear it for a few hours to make sure there aren't any designer snags like the piece not hanging or falling nicely, having to keep adjusting the piece to keep it comfortable, the colour combination doesn't bring out the main theme, etc.

So by the time you get to see the jewelry piece, it's been on a long journey! Enough said for today because I know you'd like to get on with checking out what I've posted. Enjoy!

0 comments: