Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beadwork Embroidery Collar completed!

This morning I was trying SO, SO hard to complete Aliza (yes, I named her!) which means "joyful or cheerful" but was constantly interrupted by phone calls, household chores and cat throwing up a hairball.  So it took longer than expected but I'm done!

Here she is, folks, introducing ALIZA!

In total I spent 55 hours of actually embroidery time.  I think it took so long because I kept breaking the needles until I switched to a slightly thicker and shorter needle.  Hopefully my next collar will take under 40 hours to complete! 

I had a lot of fun selecting the beads and colours.  I wanted something cheerful but not too loud.  The necklace itself was made from Delica beads and beaded with a plastic tube inside for support since the collar part is quite substantial and heavier than normal.

This is the back of the necklace.  I used my new camel ultrasuede from the US.  It was soft and easy to manage.  I glued the collar to the ultrasuede and sewed an overlay of beads to secure it even further and give it a nicer finish.

Here is the collar on my model.  It looks much better on a person since this model is a little smaller than a human. 

Now I'm off to design another embroidery collar but this time the theme and colours will be totally different.  Check back often to see what I'm doing!

0 comments: